1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armagh hurlers defeated in Division 3 final

Discussion in 'Official Site News' started by Admin1, Mar 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin1

    Admin1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Likes Received:
    Armagh hurlers fell to defeat in the Division 3 final for the second successive year when Donegal pipped them in a pulsating game in Carrickmore.

    Full time: Ard Mhacha 0-19 Dún na nGall 1-18

    [​IMG]Donegal hit an early lead after a mistake in the Armagh rearguard, to hit a goal which helped keep Donegal ahead for the entire game. The goal followed a chance at the other end when a Dean Gaffney effort was well saved by Donegal keeper Luke White.

    [​IMG]Donegal extended their lead with two quick scores before Dean Gaffney opened the Armagh account on 6 minutes. Gaffney added another and a Nathan Curry score, but both were cancelled out with Donegal maintaining a 4 point lead. A converted 65 from Curry was followed up by a great score from Oisín Keenan, but Donegal produced four scores in four minutes to push them further ahead. A long range free from Curry and a free from Dean Gaffney reduces the margin, but Gerry Gilmore and Decky Coulter from the dead ball again cancelled out the Armagh efforts, as Donegal went in at half time 6 points ahead.

    Half time Ard Mhacha 0-7 Dún na nGall 1-10

    Armagh had the advantage of the wind for the second half, but it was former Cúchulainn’s man Declan Coulter who opened the scoring.

    [​IMG]Armagh though were looking more comfortable and with Danny Magee proving a handful for the Donegal defence, Dean Gaffney was on hand to strike over two frees before Aaron Fox hit a great score from play from the near sideline. While Coulter fires over a free, the next four scores came from Armagh who were carrying all of the momentum at this stage, reducing the margin to one. However, Jack O’Loughlin hit a super score with 15 to go and this was followed up by a Coulter free.

    [​IMG]Donegal were fortunate to maintain their 15 man complement after a strike to the face was ignored by the linesperson and referee, but Gaffney and Curry pulled two scores back. Donegal were non-perturbed as again they hit a couple of scores to maintain the margin; a Coulter free and a Danny Cullen effort from play. A Coulter free put Donegal 3 ahead with five minutes of injury time announced.

    [​IMG]Dean Gaffney added two in injury time, a free and 65, but Donegal won their final puck out and Sam Doherty finished to leave two in it. With the game on the blow, Armagh were given a final chance to win the game with Simon Doherty coming up the field to strike a free from 25 metres out, but it wasn’t to be as a packed defence stopped the ball and referee Aidan Ferguson, blew the whistle to signal a Donegal victory as they head back into Division 2B.

    Full time: Ard Mhacha 0-19 Dún na nGall 1-18

    Armagh: Fintan Woods, Ciarán Clifford, Artie McGuinness, Connor Devlin, Oisín Keenan 0-1, Aaron Fox 0-1, Kieran McKernan, Paddy McBride, Tiarnán Nevin, Dean Gaffney 0-10 (0-7f, 0-1 65), Odhrán Curry, Ryan Gaffney, Eoin McGuinness, Nathan Curry 0-6 (0-1f, 0-1 65), Danny Magee 0-1

    Subs used: Simon Doherty, Shaun Toal, Mark McClatchey

    Continue reading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page